[Koha-devel] Koha packaging problems (Deb10/Buster)

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Thu Mar 12 10:20:05 CET 2020

On 12/03/20 12:43 am, Mason James wrote:
> On 10/03/20 8:08 pm, Mason James wrote:
>> Hi Koha devs
>>
>> We have a dependency problem with the release of debian-10 and the following packages. (debian-11 is ok)
>>
>>  libmojolicious-perl
>>  libmojolicious-plugin-openapi-perl
>>  libyaml-libyaml-perl
>> Two other options...
>>  1/ use kc.org debian packages, with cpanminus (or similar) providing the distro specific packages (extra installation steps and complexity)
>>  2/ ignore the problem for now, and accept that older koha/distro combinations will be forced to break
> some other points i didnt mention...
>
> koha on buster has a security bug. the solution requires some packages to be updated
>
> i can push the packages to the koha repo to fix this problem, but... (there's always a but) the new packages will break jessie :/
> when jessie-lts support officially finishes on 30th june 2020, i can happily push these packages - but between now and 30th june we need to decide on a fix for the security bug on buster
>  https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
>
> some other options...
>  3/ do nothing and tell people to not use buster, until june
>  4/ provide buster packages in an separate repo, until june
>  5/ provide instructions to add buster packages using cpanm, until june
>  6/ update koha repo to fix buster, and provide jessie packages in an separate repo
>  7/ update koha repo to fix buster, and provide instructions to add jessie packages using cpanm
>  8/ submit required buster packages to debian buster-backports repo (not sure how difficult this is)
>
> i prefer option 4/, as its the least disruptive for users, and only requires an extra sources.list line to implement
>
> also... i think we should hold off on redesigning the koha apt repository until *after* this buster security issue is fixed
>
> cheers, Mason

hmm, i had forgotten another...
its possible to tell apt to prefer koha's older mojo v7 package, rather than the newer debian/buster mojo v8 package

running the following command before 'apt install koha-common' makes it possible to run the various koha releases on debian 10

$ sudo cat << EOF > /etc/apt/preferences.d/koha-1001
Package: libjson-validator-perl
Pin-Priority: 1001
Pin: release o=Koha

Package: libmojolicious-perl
Pin-Priority: 1001
Pin: release o=Koha
EOF

for me, this option is probably the easiest workaround for koha on debian 10

if nobody objects? - i am happy to update the koha wiki with this workaround

cheers, Mason