[Koha-devel] Deleting entries from language_descriptions

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Fri Apr 23 04:38:03 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I was looking at how to add languages to the Languages drop down in the OPAC

But looking at language_descriptions, I’m wondering if perhaps we could
delete the following data, as I imagine it’s very outdated and unused:

MySQL [koha_kohadev]> select * from language_descriptions;

+----------+----------+------+---------------------------------------+-----+

| subtag   | type     | lang | description                           | id  |

+----------+----------+------+---------------------------------------+-----+

| opac     | i        | en   | OPAC                                  |   1 |

| opac     | i        | fr   | OPAC                                  |   2 |

| opac     | i        | de   | OPAC                                  |   3 |

| intranet | i        | en   | Staff Client                          |   4 |

| intranet | i        | fr   | Client personnel                      |   5 |

| intranet | i        | de   | Dienstoberfläche                      |   6 |

| prog     | t        | en   | Prog                                  |   7 |

| prog     | t        | fr   | Prog                                  |   8 |

| prog     | t        | de   | Prog                                  |   9 |

At the moment, it looks like adding a language requires manual SQL queries
to language_subtag_registry, language_descriptions, and
language_rfc4646_to_iso639. It’s a shame there is no native interface for
updating it. I imagine a plugin could work out well for it, although I think
for the library in mind they’ll probably just do a manual insert, as it’s
not worth the development cost

David Cook

Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems