[Koha-devel] Replacement of mailman (mailing lists)

Joonas Kylmälä joonas.kylmala at helsinki.fi
Thu Jun 3 20:59:48 CEST 2021

Hi,

On 03/06/2021 16:07, Jonathan Druart wrote:
> Should we keep the historical mailing list or move to something
> modern, like discourse or flarum?
> Is it something:
> - we really want/need
> - we don't want/need
> - neat we could have

I personally don't have a need for forum type of solution, and I
actually prefer mailing lists so I can have all updates from all
different projects at one inbox.

> Currently the lists are not maintained (messages are not reviewed/no
> moderation), the mailman version is old, looks like there are a lot of
> email bounding, etc.

Besides the emails bounding issue, the maintenance burden would be the
same with forum software, right? Also, regarding this specific case of
mailman being outdated, would it be possible to just enable
unattended-upgrades (if debian based server) with automatic reboot to
solve this?

About email moderation, I have not noticed getting any spam through this
mailing list. If the email is not accepted won't it bounce so if someone
wants to send something (like a big file) they can contact via irc or
other channels to say there is a problem.

Joonas