[Koha-devel] Replacement of mailman (mailing lists)

Jonathan Druart jonathan.druart at bugs.koha-community.org
Fri Jun 4 16:03:03 CEST 2021

Le jeu. 3 juin 2021 à 20:59, Joonas Kylmälä
<joonas.kylmala at helsinki.fi> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On 03/06/2021 16:07, Jonathan Druart wrote:
> > Should we keep the historical mailing list or move to something
> > modern, like discourse or flarum?
> > Is it something:
> > - we really want/need
> > - we don't want/need
> > - neat we could have
>
> I personally don't have a need for forum type of solution, and I
> actually prefer mailing lists so I can have all updates from all
> different projects at one inbox.

I think that the two solutions I suggested can be used as a mailing list.

> > Currently the lists are not maintained (messages are not reviewed/no
> > moderation), the mailman version is old, looks like there are a lot of
> > email bounding, etc.
>
> Besides the emails bounding issue, the maintenance burden would be the
> same with forum software, right? Also, regarding this specific case of
> mailman being outdated, would it be possible to just enable
> unattended-upgrades (if debian based server) with automatic reboot to
> solve this?

The problem is that the upgrade from v2 to v3 is not trivial apparently.

> About email moderation, I have not noticed getting any spam through this
> mailing list. If the email is not accepted won't it bounce so if someone
> wants to send something (like a big file) they can contact via irc or
> other channels to say there is a problem.

There is work that needs to be done on the server, upgrade +
maintenance, and maybe reinstall/move of the server.

For instance, on the server: "400 undelivered mail return to the
sender", "The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a
rate that 550-5.2.1 prevents additional messages from being
delivered", etc. There are tons like that and it's not good for
server's ip reputation.

The question is: do we make the work to keep mailman, or do we
consider it obsolete and we need something more modern?

And I have no idea I will have time to dedicate to this task anyway,
volunteers are welcome to help!