[Koha-devel] Rolling DB upgrades

Joonas Kylmälä joonas.kylmala at helsinki.fi
Wed Mar 3 08:38:17 CET 2021

Hi,

On 03/03/2021 00:47, dcook at prosentient.com.au wrote:
> It seems to me that we would have to train every developer on how to write their Perl code and database changes to work with this conceptual model.

Yeah, that's correct if there is DB changes.

> That being said, I am intrigued. I hate downtime as much as the next person.

Downtime, removal of odd maintenance hours and shorter feedback loop are
the main benefits I see here.

> But how do you propose that the Koha community (and not just your organisation) would make this work? At the moment, the Koha community releases new versions once every month. Some libraries pick those upgrades up automatically, some have sysadmins initiate upgrades, etc. I think we have to assume that no human intervention is a requirement for Koha. So I'm not sure how a 2-step upgrade would work for libraries without sysadmins who were specifically knowledgeable about Koha.

For such installations, non-distributed ones, there would be no change.
You could just upgrade the debian package and it would do all the
upgrade steps. If you have Koha web server on multiple different servers
then you have to do similar coordination as you have had to do already
with Koha but just with different commands.

Joonas

--
Joonas Kylmälä
Tietojärjestelmäasiantuntija