[Koha-devel] ElasticSearch Geoserch

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Jun 30 01:35:05 CEST 2022

I don't think the link is working for me, but it's an interesting idea.

Where in the bib record are you storing the coordinate data? Have you looked at https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd034.html? It looks like that field was redescribed in 2021 to perfectly suit your use case.

In terms of feasibility, I think the main change would be to add suitable indexes for 034 MARC21 data. Beyond that, I think a plugin would make the most sense for a frontend, as the geosearch would probably be fairly specific to your library's needs. But if you could think of a geosearch that is useful for other libraries as well, then I imagine it could make it into Koha.

I don't know if any of my libraries would use it, but it's interesting. It might be one of those things that people don't know that they want until after they see it in action?

Anyway, sounds cool!

David Cook
Senior Software Engineer
Prosentient Systems