[Koha-devel] User-defined variables in MySQL

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon May 30 08:26:05 CEST 2022

Hi all,

In the Koha SQL Library we talk about "Runtime Variables" which are MySQL
"User-defined Variables":
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/SQL_Reports_Library#Runtime_Variables

Well today I noticed that MySQL might be removing that functionality in the
future: "Previous releases of MySQL made it possible to assign a value to a
user variable in statements other than SET. This functionality is supported
in MySQL 8.0 for backward compatibility but is subject to removal in a
future release of MySQL."
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/user-variables.html

I didn't see any reference to this in the MariaDB KB and I can't recall how
far the two databases have diverged at this point but could be worth keeping
in mind: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/user-defined-variables/.

Of course, as noted in the Koha wiki, it looks like user-defined variables
aren't really needed post 18.05 anyway.

David Cook

Senior Software Engineer

Prosentient Systems