[Koha-devel] A case against our release dates

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 13:35:02 CEST 2023

Hi all. Having served as Release Manager for the project a couple times,
I'd like to ask y'all to think about the dates we've chosen and have stuck
to the last few years for our releases.

I know they are somehow aligned with our regular yearly meetings, and one
each semester. But my experience says:

- We all want to implement things we discuss in the Hackfest, but the
release is too close. So we either push too late in the cycle, or need to
cool down our brains/ideas for 'after the release in two months'.
- The other scenario, which I suffered a lot recently (and will soon) is
summer holidays in the northern hemisphere: you're all out when we should
be pushing the riskier things to have enough time to fix things, and we end
up rushing things... on the last third of the cycle.

I don't have a proposal right now, but wanted to say my perception is the
dates are not ideal as-is. And hear back from you all.

Cheers!

--
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (http://theke.io)