[Koha-docs] Translation of manual using pootle

Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel bgkriegel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 19:03:43 CEST 2012

Hi all,
August is ending, so I guess it's time to revisit the issue of the
translation of the manual.
Some of us prefer to use the same infrastructure in translate.k-c.

To that end we need a procedure to generate and update PO files from the
XML version,
translate, and finally produce a translated XML file (and then HTML, PDF,
etc.).

There are tools to do this:
xml2pot: to create a POT file from XML
gettext package to manipulate POT/PO/MO files
itstool: to recreate XML from MO

Now, one of this tools (itstool) complains that the current version of the
manual (git, 3.8.x)
is not a valid XML file.

The problem seems to be due to the use of ISO (HTML) named character
entities,
such as ©   &ldquo, which are invalid in a XML document.

One solution is to replace these entities by their UTF-8 counterparts (i.e.
author in UTF-8), or
by numeric character entities  (© -> ©)

So, to begin we need that the English version of the manual changes
accordingly.
(I could send a patch to this)

Sincerely
Bernardo