[Koha-docs] [Koha-translate] Arabic manual 38

Karam Qubsi karamqubsi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 22:09:08 CEST 2012

Hi all
Using "itstool"
http://itstool.org

we can do the following points that Frédéric talked about :

- A .pot file can be generated from DocBook XML file
    by running :
            itstool -o manual.pot manual.xml
- One, or several, .po files can be generated from .pot file
      I think by saving it as po files
       ar.po , fr.po , de.po ....
- After translation, a translated XML DocBook file can be generated  from
.po file, and original English DocBook

      For this we have first to use *msgfmt* to generate mo file by running
:
      msgfmt fr.po
      then a messages.mo will be generated
      using this mo file we can generate the xml file by running :
         itstool -m messages.mo -o fr/ manual.xml

       Then the translated docbook will be generated in the sub-folder /fr

( using msgmerge ) TO UPDATE
- After original DocBook updates, a merging mechanism must allow to update
.pot file, and .po files

I think this will be similar to the process in the koha translation
project
I don't know how you do that exactly ( right now)  but I think

we have to generate a new pot file ( for the new version of the xml)
and update the po files from the new POT file using :
      msgmerge -U fr.po manual.pot

    where :
     manual.pot is the new generated POT file
     and the fr.po is the translated po file in the previous version

I hope you provide me with your assistance from your experience

and thank you all

Karam