[Koha-translate] [Koha-devel] Standardised US English Translation

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Apr 23 13:56:36 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM,  <russ at russandsarah.gen.nz> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  After a big fuss, I have gone a bit quiet. Working on Koha is not my day
>  job anymore.
>
>  Anyway, forgive the cross list posting, but my last email got forwarded to
>  all the lists and I guess this topic is of interest to the devel list as
>  well.
>
>  I am happy to help out with standardising the language used in the default
>  Koha install to that of the dictionary everyone agreed on.
>
>  It would be easiest for me to do this using Kartouche at
>  translate.koha.org, because then I can see how many strings still need to
>  be translated and I can do it from anywhere.
Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated that that. If we replace
all instances
of Catalogue with Catalog, all 28 translations of Koha will need to have their
PO files updated. I've identified a few words and variations that I
_think_ cover
almost all the en-GB/en-US/en-FR issues in the 3.0 version, and I can run a
search and replace against the codebase to update them. Here's what I came
up with:

organisation authorised catalogue cataloguing

I bet that covers about 90% of the cases ... does anyone have any other examples
of British spelling in the staff or opac?

>  Any progress with getting a language code setup? Is Joshua the only person
>  that can do this?
At the moment managing Kartouche is done on the command line, there's no
administrative interface to it that is web-based that would allow you
to do things
like add new languages. Also, the process for updating the PO files is also done
on the command line and must be done every time you update Kartouche. It's
unfortunately a very long and boring process.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support