[Koha-translate] Some questions

Axel Bojer axelb at skolelinux.no
Sun Jan 20 00:35:04 CET 2008

Joshua Ferraro wrote:
> On 1/19/08, Dorian Meid <dnmeid at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Am 19.01.2008 um 01:30 schrieb Axel Bojer:
>>> Actually, one more right away -- about the html-encodings :-)
>>>
>>> In Norway we don't citate with "word" but with «word». I see many
>>> places, that &quot; is used instead (in English). Do we, then, have
>>> to change ours into &raquo; and &laquo; everywhere, or will « and »
>>> be recognized? I thought of doing a search and replace for all of
>>> them at the last moment before submitting, just to be sure
>>> everything is viewed correctly, or will some of the text be
>>> rendered differently than by html (just text f.i.), so that we will
>>> have to use « and » somewhere too?
>> Another good question.
>> Apparently the quotes have been left out while rewriting the html for
>> CSS.
>> I suggest to use the q-tag instead of quotes: <q>word</q>
>> Then most browsers should handle the quotation marks correctly
>> according to the browsers set language.
>> For a better control we can specify how the q-tag is handeled in the
>> stylesheet.
>> Here is an excelent articel about that:
>> http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200411/
>> quotations_and_citations_quoting_text/
>> This would also be a great advantage for theme-designers.
> OK, I think this is the correct solution, I will also work to fix this for the
> 3.0 beta.

Perhaps the best, all in all, I agree.

But, there is a problem still there for some:
<q> seems not to be fully supported (especially not in IE, not
surprisingly), and therefore will render many strings in a wrong way.
And if the *browser* gets to decide, then I can't read the Norwegian
opac with for instance an English Firefox without getting the wrong
quotation marks, witch I find a pity.

Of course everyone is free to change <q>, then, as with " also, so from
that point of view it would not give more work either. And, as a pro, it
can be fully automated as the "s in the code declarations won't be
influenced by it.
But I would prefer to replace either one of those with either the
html-code or the utf-8-encoded signs (« and » for us). For everyone
using English quotation marks this would really not be any problem any
way, so ... :-)

Best regards
Axel Bojer