[Koha-translate] Multilingual OPAC?

dzurn daz-macromates at zzzurn.com
Mon Feb 9 13:28:40 CET 2009

We are implementing Koha for a Japanese school in the United States. We have
both Japanese speakers and English speakers as users and as staff.

Is there some way to create a Japanese/English bilingual translation? We
plan to have a single computer running Koha while the school is open and
we'd like to make it equally accessible for Japanese and English speakers
without constantly swapping the language.

I'm sure it could be done by creating a new "language" like Japanese/English
and having both languages in the result text:

Made-up example:
Welcome %s:    "%sさん おはよう / Welcome, %s"

etc.

(As you can probably tell, I'm not one of the Japanese speakers!)

We have a number of edits already done in Pootle for the Japanese
translation, but I'm wondering if anyone else has come up with a good way to
ALWAYS display using two languages. My fantasy is to have the two
translation texts show up differently: English in black 10 point Monaco
font, Japanese in Green 13 pt Osaka font. I know we can provide the styling
in a CSS style sheet, if we allow something like this:

Welcome, %s: " %sさん おはよう / Welcome, %s "

I can see that is more work, but it only would be done in our OPAC once
after the regular Japanese translation is "finished" to our Japanese
speaker's satisfaction.

Any insights or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Darryl Zurn