[Koha-translate] Koha-translate Digest, Vol 110, Issue 1

Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel bgkriegel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 15:21:26 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Frédéric Demians <f.demians at tamil.fr>
wrote:

> > Adding another Arabic language code and files will add nothing but
> confusion
> > in my view. Therefore, I vote for No No. Not again please! I have
> > experienced the agony of multiple Arabic code pages during the last 25
> > years, and already seen where this duplication is leading to.
>
> I vote no with Massoud. Koha is all about sharing, isn't it. Why erecting a
> new tower of Babel?

I don't know if we have a procedure to grant or not this.
Normally I add a language upon request, without much questioning.

Unless of course we have an equivalent language, as is the case.

I asked privately Mr. Mahmoud Bekhit about this. After a couple of emails
the conclusion was that there are errors on current Arabic translation that
prevented him to use Koha, that's the reason of his request.

I verified this on Koha 3.20.5, for example search is broken in opac.
( check
http://translate.koha-community.org/ar/3.20/translate/ar-Arab-opac-bootstrap.po#unit=13167462
)

For now I will not add ar-Arab-EG, but kindly request our Arabic speakers
that they take a look at current translation and fix any errors.
I will be glad to help on anything needed.

Best regards
Bernardo