[Koha-win32] 500 Internal Server Error - Please Help

R. P. Georgekutty rpgeorgekutty at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:40:10 CET 2010

Hi All,

I am a newbie to Koha. I am stuck in the start itself. Kindly help me.
Thanks in advance.
I have installed the win 32 version on my Windows XP SP2 machine with the
following

Apache Version 2.2.14
MySQL Version 5.1.44
ActiveState Perl Version 5.8.9 Build 827

The installation process went fine except for the last item for Perl, ie
"unpacking MARC-charset-0.92". The system hung then; I have terminated the
batch job with 'Ctrl+C' and proceeded with the remaining items. Installation
then completed successfully. (I have not done any editing in any of the
configuration files)

My problem starts then. When I open IE and starts http://opac, 500 Internal
Server Error is being displayed. I have checked the error log the
'opac-error.log' file in 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2\logs' displays the following.

[error] [client 127.0.0.1] Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value
at C:/usr/koha229/opac/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl line 17.

Then I examined the 'opac-main.pl' file and the lines 14,15,16 and line 17
are as follows

my $input = new CGI;
my $dbh = C4::Context->dbh;
my $query="Select itemtype,description from itemtypes order by description";
my $sth=$dbh->prepare($query);

I hope I have given sufficient details. Kindly help me to start with Koha
the wonderful software.

Thanking you,

R P Georgekutty