[Koha-zebra] Zebra and Authorities [Fwd from: [Koha-devel] switching from marc_words to zebra [LONG]]

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Tue Jul 19 01:23:42 CEST 2005

> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:01:06 -0700
> From: Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com>
>
> So although I haven't personally used it, Koha does support
> auto-updating records on-the-fly when an authority record
> changes. So we'll need an approach to supporting this behavior using
> Zebra as Paul outlines here:

Hi, Josh.  Without getting into the details of Paul's message, I don't
think there will be any problems at all implementing in Zebra the kind
of thing you're doing here.

When you were talking to Seb about changing authorities at ALA, the
concern was that you might be storing bibliographic records in a table
whose rows do not themselves contain (say) subject data at all -- just
links into the "subject" authority table.  Under such a scheme,
changing a "subject" authority record would of course naturally result
in all bibliographic records that referred to that authority
displaying the new value whenever rendered out with the links
resolved.  Instead, as I understand your message, you currently have a
scheme where bibliographic records include their own copies of the
authority-derived data, so that if a global change is required, that
has to be done by making a sweep of that database and changing all the
relevant records.  Something similar can certainly be done in Zebra.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "A win as predictable as it was unexpected" -- Ian XXX, on
	 Millwall 2, Rotherham 0, 15/2/97