[Koha-zebra] Re: Unimarc, marc21, Unicode, and MARC::File::XML

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Mon Mar 20 16:10:07 CET 2006

Mike Rylander a écrit :
> On 3/20/06, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
>>Mike Rylander a écrit :
>>
>>>I tested with the record you sent Ed and me, and everything seems to
>>>work for me ...
>>>As you can see, I tested several variants of the UNIMARC flag, and
>>>even tested not sending the encoding to new_from_xml() ... it all
>>>seems to work for me, and I'm not sure what problems you're seeing.
>>>Perhaps you just needed to set your binmode for the XML source?
>>
>>strange, strange...
>>
>>What does my script :
>>* retrieve the MARC::Record from zebra
>>* read some datas from mysql
>>* build a page with HTML::Template
>>* send the pages to the browser
> Are you getting XML or binary MARC from zebra?

XML. The test.xml I sended to you on friday comes was the
             $raw = $rs->record(0)->raw();
record.

> Are you using decode_utf8($mysql_string) to let Perl know that the
> database is UTF8 encoded?  IIRC, MySQL doesn't know how to tell Perl
> about that, and the DBD::MySQL maintainer haven't added that
> functionality to the module yet.

I thought we had to decode_utf8($mysql_string), and began to investigate
a lot. But after many hours of digging & getting problems, I now have a
working mySQL in utf8 for all of Koha.
without any binmode of decode_utf8 ...
And it seems joshua & Tümer (Turkey) has the same conclusion : no more
problems with mySQL & Perl.
We all use a recent version of mySQL, even if DBD::mysql maintainer
(from mysql.com : joshua dropped him a mail but got no answer) did
nothing on the cpan package.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants