[Koha-zebra] Koha Zebra Searching Report (from NPL)

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Tue Mar 28 12:23:47 CEST 2006

Sebastian Hammer writes:

>>> Why do you see yourelf limited to Bib-1? Within Koha, you can do
>>> whatever you want -- specifically extend Bib-1 into the 8000-range
>>> (IIRC) for local USE attributes or define a private set.
>>
>> And how would we represent that in a CQL query?
>
> A private index set? Mike is the CQL guru, so he might have a better
> answer.. but you can create your own index set -- even ask the LoC
> to list it, although you don't need to.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what "this" is any more, as the
mailing-list software seems to have held your message up for the best
part of a week!  Please contact me off-list and let me know what
specifically you're trying to express in CQL.

>>> It isn't soundex, but it will behave somewhat the same in many
>>> cases.  Try searching with truncation=Regexp-2 (103). This enables
>>> error-tolerant searching. By default, one error
>>> (insert/delete/replace) per term will still lead to a match. More at
>>> http://www.indexdata.com/zebra/doc/protocol-support.tkl#search
>>
>> Same here ... not sure how to do that in CQL ... could you shed some
>> light on that?
>
> There's no standard way of representing this... in Zebra it's a
> truncation attribute, not particularly standard.. what would be a
> good way of representing something like that in CQL, Mike?

The relation-modifier "fuzzy" is described at:
	http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/cql/cql-context-set.html
as meaning:
	The server should be liberal in what it counts as a match. The
	exact details of this are left up to the server, but might
	include permutations of character order, off-by-one for
	numerical terms and so forth.

which sounds about right to me.  So you want to have the CQL module
translate the "fuzzy" relation modifier into the Z39.50 Type-1 query
attribute truncation=Regexp-2 (5=103).  So can get this effect by
adding:
	relationModifier.fuzzy			= 5=103
to your "pqf.properties" file.  (In fact, there is already a rule for
relationModifier.fuzzy, which you'll want to _replace_ with this one,
as it's clearly incorrect).

Then you can search for:

	dc.title =/fuzzy paleontology

Awesome!  :-)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Shut up, be happy.  The conveniences you demanded are now
	 mandatory" -- Jello Biafra.