[Koha-zebra] [Zebralist] Problems with Koha/Zebra as Z39.50 server

Magnus Enger magnus at enger.priv.no
Tue Mar 24 19:58:11 CET 2009

2009/3/23 LAURENT Henri-Damien <henridamien at koha-fr.org>:
> Magnus Enger a écrit :
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm having some trouble getting Koha w/Zebra to work as a Z39.50 server.
>>
>> * Background
>>
>> I'm running Koha 3.01.00.014 on Debian 4.0 (on Amazon EC2). Zebra is
>> on and searching in the OPAC is working fine. During the Makefile.PL
>> part of the installation I chose the "single" install, so alle Koha
>> files are found under /mnt/koha/. I chose the default for all the
>> ports etc.
>>
>> * Preparation
>>
>> I have edited koha-conf.xml from this:
>> <!-- <listen id="publicserver" >tcp:@:9999</listen> ->
>> to this:
>> <listen id="publicserver" >tcp:@:9999</listen>
>>
>> And I have restarted Zebra with
>> /etc/init.d/koha-zebra-demon restart
>>
>> I have also made suer port 9999 is open.
>>
>> * Symptoms
>>
>> When I try to access http://kohanor.collib.info:9999/ in a browser, I get this:
>>
>> YAZ 3.0.36
>> Error: 404
>>
>> I log on to the server and try with yaz-client, and I get this:
>>
>> ~# yaz-client
>> Z> open localhost:9999/biblios
>> Connecting...OK.
>> Sent initrequest.
>> Connection rejected by v3 target.
>> ID     : 81
>> Name   : GFS/YAZ
>> Version: 1.128/3.0.36
>> Init response contains 1 otherInfo unit:
>>  1: otherInfo unit contains 1 diagnostic:
>>    1: code=1 (Permanent system error),
>>        addinfo=''
>> Elapsed: 0.002852
>> Z>
>>

>> (and with "username:password" and "username password"), but they all
>> give the same error: "Init ERROR 1 ID:81 Name:YAZ Version:3.0.36".
>>
>> * Hunches
>>
>> It strikes me as somewhat odd that there are now four listen-elements
>> in koha-conf.xml:
>>
>> <listen id="biblioserver" >unix:/mnt/koha/var/run/zebradb/bibliosocket</listen>
>> <listen id="authorityserver"
>>
>>> unix:/mnt/koha/var/run/zebradb/authoritysocket</listen>
>>>
>> <listen id="publicserver" >tcp:@:9999</listen>
>> <listen id="mergeserver">tcp:@:11001</listen>
>>

>> Does anyone have a clue about what is wrong here? I have (of course)
>> tried to Google for different parts of the error-messages, but without
>> finding anything very helpful.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Magnus Enger
>>

> Hi magnus,
> this doesnot seem to be really a zebra only problem.
> We have a koha-zebra list on lists.koha.org (which has been much
> unemployed these last few months.) if you want to ask question about
> usage of zebra in Koha.
> I happened to have some problems too on that but it was because database
> was either not initiated or populated with data.
> zebraidx -d biblios -c zebra-biblios.cfg init
> zebraidx -d biblios -g iso2709 -c zebra-biblios.cfg udpate path/to/marcfile
> zebraidx -d biblios -c zebra-biblios.cfg commit
> [...]

Hi Henri-Damien, and thanks for your reply!

It seems to me that in my case the zebra database should be both
initiated and populated with data, since search is working fine in the
Koha OPAC?

What I did (before I saw your reply) was to copy the complete server-
and serverinfo-elements for "biblioserver", and set the "id" and
"listenref" attributes to "publicserver", so that I have something
like this:

<server id="publicserver"  listenref="publicserver">...</server>
<serverinfo id="publicserver">...</serverinfo>
<server id="biblioserver"  listenref="biblioserver">...</server>
<serverinfo id="biblioserver">...</serverinfo>

The contents of the two server-elements are identical, and the
contents of the two serverinfo-elements are identical.

After I restarted Zebra, Z39.50 and SRU are now working. I have not
tested the results rigorously, but at least I'm getting results that
seem to make sense.

Here is the explain-document:
http://kohanor.collib.info:9999/biblios

So, I'm wondering: am I missing something, or is the default
koha-conf.xml missing something? ;-)

Regards,
Magnus