[Koha-translate] Introduction

Frédéric DEMIANS f.demians at tamil.fr
Thu Nov 18 12:55:33 CET 2010

Welcome.

 > We want to start with English-Nigeria and Yoruba.

Is there enough differences between English-Nigeria and "standard" Koha
English version to justify a new translation?

Do you know the RFC 4646 language code for English-Nigeria and Yoruba?
This is a two parts code: <language>-<regional version>. For example,
French for France is: fr-FR.

 > 1. Where do we start

   * Here.
   * http://translate.koha.org
     And soon: http://translate.koha-community.org
   * In the /misc/translator directory of devel Koha installation.

 > 2. Can the translation be done offline (Internet connection not
 > reliable)

Yes. With a devel Koha installation, you can translate directly 3 .po
files per language located in /misc/translator/po directory. Those files
have first to be generated by Chris Cormack or myself, depending of
chosen codes for your languages.

 > 3. Can we print out the strings? We are thinking of printing it out so
 > librarians who dont have internet connection can help out. We then
 > type and upload later.

It seem to me impracticable. But let see what "true" translators have to
say about that.

Regards,
--
Frédéric DEMIANS