[Koha-translate] Sinhala and Turkmen languages added to the translation platform

R45XvezA R45XvezA at protonmail.ch
Wed Jun 1 04:46:24 CEST 2022

Hi

Sorry, i forgot to add all mails to CC

------------------
>> I have a another request, please delete "ta_LK" from entire koha and keep only "ta" (tamil) in the platform. Currently it seems no one contribute to the tamil language.
Reasons:
1. "ta_LK" is an unnecessary version with loan words.
2. This behavior slow down translation speed for tamil language
3. If many people accustomed to using it then affect to the language quality

// It needs a new dedicated thread on koha-translate as I don't have rights on the translation platform and some questions need clarification before deleting a language.
Here is a first from me. Isn't ta_LK the Tamil variant that is spoken by 28.5% of the people in Sri Lanka? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Sri_Lanka Or is the variant actually used a little and most Tamil speakers speak simply Tamil without specific Sri Lanka variations?

No. Tamil language speak in multiple countries and it doesn't have/or need variants. (+according to our language and history knowledge). See side panel "regions with population" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamils

Some are try to add variants to IT products for political purposes but this behavior itself affect to tamil people and speakers as mentioned. If someone try to create a variant, it definitely contain more, ancient greek, english, dutch, portuguese, sinhala, malay etc

e.g. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_loanwords_in_other_languages#In_Sinhala

>>Also, i can speak tamil fluently then i will contribute to it in my free time
Great news :D you need to also ask to be made translator, reviewer or admin for tamil so you will be able to work on it.