[Koha-devel] From the Kaitiaki

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Sat Sep 14 14:26:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Saiful Amin wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm Saiful Amin, a student of Master's of Library & Information Science.
> I've worked on Koha for a very brief period before my exams and am a
> member of this mailing list for the past 3 months.  I've almost one year's
> experience in Perl and been working on redhat linux for past 8 months.
>
> I've worked on this software only for testing purposes to see how far it
> is suitable for the Indian libraries.  So far I've got the koha-1.2.2
> working with z3950 client and the sample database.  I plan to test koha
> for many other features such as handling of multilingual documents.

If you're planning on working with m18n issues, you'll probably want to
get involved with the other people working on translations.  I'm sure
that's the place where we'll first see problems rearing their ugly heads.

> I'm currently busy this month with a team project on the Greenstone
> digital library system.  My next project might well be on Koha!  I am a
> big supporter of open source projects and would like to contribute at
> least in the documentation of this software.
>
> I would be more than happy to help out anybody in my locality concerning
> installation, etc.  I really want it to keep growing.

That's great to hear.  I'm not aware of any ongoing Koha projects in India
at this point, but there have been several Indians starting to show an
interest.  If you start to coalesce around translations, implementations,
or project work, we'd be happy to run a in.koha.org website and mailing
list.

thanks,
-pate