[Koha-devel] MARC21 - Homebranch and holdbranch mapping

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Wed Apr 16 22:16:02 CEST 2003

hi Ingrid,

getting these parameters right is a bit confusing and caused us some
experimenting before we got it to pass MARCcheck.

first, you use the parameters page in the third section (Various
parameters) to set up _Library branches_.   this list contains all the
possible locations that items may be held and our list contains 90
locations such as Main, Main New Books, Reference, Maps, Maps Atlas Case,
Entomology, Herpetology, Ichthylology, Ichthyol Vault, Mammal. & Ornith.,
M&O Reference, M&O Sound Recordings, M&O Locked Case, Morrison Planetarium,
Stienhart Aquarium, Aquarium Herp Room, Aquarium Pathol. Office, Special
Coll. Books, Pub. Programs Division, Technical Services, Operations,
Osher Lab, Ichthyol Folios, Aquarium Locked Case, S.E.M. Lab, and even
Location Varies.  so you can see that the holdings are divided into many
locations here, while some organizations might choose very few locations
identified by their street address.  but at any rate, the branch table
must be filled by editing the parameter page.

in our case Larry Currie has made the mapping into tag 949, but you can
map to any tag subfield.  here 949 subfield g has lib: "Home branch code
in Koha", koha field: "items.homebranch", Rep: No, Mand: No, Tab: 10, and
Auth value: branches.   note that by chosing Tab: 10, we then are able to
select from the list of Authorized Values to record in the database the
value of the Home branch.  since you have chosen not to display the subfield,
then you wouldn't have any way to enter this information.

likewise 949 subfield l has Lib: "Holding brance code in Koha", koha field:
"items.hodingbranch", Rep: No, Mand: No, Tab: 10, and Auth value: branches.

in your entries, i suggest changing the tag from "Ignore" to "10".  in
addition, since there is a separate record for each book or other item,
i don't think you want to set Repeatable to Yes, since an instance of an
item should never appear in more than one location at the same time :-).

see if that helps squash out the MARCcheck error.

-ron