[Koha-devel] Getting rid of z3950 daemons

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Oct 21 02:29:06 CEST 2003

MJ Ray wrote:

> On 2003-09-30 15:22:05 +0100 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> but that's not the problem : if enters 4 z3950, we shouldn't wait for
>> 4 synchronous answers before sending him something. It would need 4-8
>> seconds.
>> the daemon solution gives a "blank screen" to the user, saying "Koha
>> is working", then answers are shown as soon as they arrive.
>
> This would not require a daemon.  Send a "koha is working" first of
> all and a redirect to the results page.  The results page should not
> return anything (not even headers) until all results are in.

that's where we have not the same idea : I think users are happy to see
that the query progresses.

>   Requests should still not be done synchronously if possible, to
> ensure that we can abort before the maximum runtime.

and how to do this with a web platform without a daemon (or cron job or
anything else) ?
If i don't mind, the web platform is :
IP stack of server recieve a IP packet
Apache get the packet.
Apache sees it's a CGI call
Apache forks a process/thread to compute the answer
The process/thread output the results
The process/thread dies
Apache sends the results when the process/thread is dead
Job ended.

I don't see how to have an asynchronous task here.

--
Paul POULAIN