[Koha-devel] Getting rid of z3950 daemons

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Oct 21 03:17:07 CEST 2003

On 2003-10-21 09:39:24 +0100 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:

> that's where we have not the same idea : I think users are happy to
> see that
> the query progresses.

Is seeing "Please wait" bugzilla-style really worse than "Still ??
requests to go" that we have now? Admins are very unhappy at having to
run new daemons and I think this will limit koha uptake. Z39.50 is a
good feature of koha, but its current implementation seems tricky. I
suspect the daemon may hit ulimits too?

> Apache forks a process/thread to compute the answer
> The process/thread output the results
> The process/thread dies
> Apache sends the results when the process/thread is dead

I think this line is wrong. Apache sends the results as soon as it
can, without waiting for process to exit.

> Job ended.
>
> I don't see how to have an asynchronous task here.

I was speaking of the results being gathered asynchronously within the
process, not the request being asynchronous within the whole system.
This is so that we can abort when time runs out. I don't think that is
difficult to do. Perhaps we could even use alarm signals to avoid
having to write asynchronous Z3950 code.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef at jabber.at