[Koha-devel] Translation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue May 31 14:54:28 CEST 2005

Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> Given the fact that many translators aren't going to be very tech
> savvy, I think we should make Koha translation web-based. That is,
> we should have a site where translators can go, setup a login,
> assign themselves a translation project, run the .po to get the
> English, and insert their language in text fields hitting submit
> when they are done ... so paul, can Kartouche facilitate this? Is
> there another software app that can?

I'm a bit puzzled why you would send questions for paul to a
public mailing list, so I'll throw my two pen'orth in anyway:
some translators will be comfortable working with the .po files
themselves, some will be working as part of a larger translation
project and some would be helped by a translation web site like
you suggest. A web site won't work well for a translator who is
paying by the minute for internet access.

In short, I think we've got to support all three of these
scenarios - and probably more besides.

On a related note, shall I modify the installer to generate
translated templates from .po files at install-time?

Then we need to keep one template language in CVS and the .po
files too.  I'm not sure how much of a common vocabulary there
is yet, but I guess that's another thing I get to test Real
Soon Now.

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/