[Koha-devel] Koha Statuses and MARC?

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 19:17:10 CEST 2005

The best thing is to keep MARC as standard as you can...

Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC.

> Paul et al,
>
> In Paul's proposed scheme for item statuses, the items.notforloan
> field is linked to MARC field 942$k and then an authorized value
> is set for that field (defined by the library). Before we invest
> too much development energy on this idea I'd like to question
> whether it's even a good idea to store status information in the
> MARC record, especially we we move toward using Zebra to store our
> textual (MARC) database.
>
> Stephen and I spoke earlier today and he's got me thinking that maybe
> it's not such a good idea to store statuses in MARC. MARC wasn't
> really designed for anything but the static record information. It's
> ill-suited for transactional based data such as statuses.
>
> I propose that for Koha 3.0 we create a new field in the Koha tables
> called 'items.status'. items.status can be a numeric value and have
> a set of library-defined authorized values. We can then add a framework
> for setting those values that a library must setup when they install
> the system. For instance, it should be possible to set Koha to
> automatically set an items status to 'in transit' when an item is
> on reserve to a patron in a branch other than the holdingbranch (when
> the item is returned) and 'waiting' when it arrives and is scanned.
> But the goal would be to make this a setting that the library could
> define when setting Koha up, a set of 'status rules'.
>
> Comments, suggestions, volunteers?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
> President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
> LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
> jmf at liblime.com |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS

Thanks,

Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC

See the Museum's Web Site at  www.smecc.org

We are always looking for items to add to the museum's display and ref.
library  - please advise if you have anything we can use.

Coury House / SMECC
5802 W. Palmaire Ave.                          Phone    623-435-1522
Glendale Az 85301  USA

CONFIDENZIALE: Questo messaggio e gli eventuali allegati sono confidenziali
e riservati. Se vi è stato recapitato per errore e non siete fra i
destinatari elencati, siete pregati di darne immediatamente avviso al
mittente. Le informazioni contenute non devono essere mostrate ad altri, né
utilizzate, memorizzate o copiate in qualsiasi forma.

CONFIDENTIAL: This  e-mail  and  any attachments are confidential and may
contain reserved information. If  you are not one of the named recipients,
please notify the sender immediately. Moreover, you should not disclose the
contents to any other persons, nor should the information contained be used
for any purpose or stored or copied in any form.