[Koha-devel] prog templates (once again)...

Richard Anderson richard at katipo.co.nz
Wed Jan 18 23:22:14 CET 2006

Hi,

Just a couple of comments...

Paul POULAIN wrote:

> * Some html proposals :
> - use h1 for page main title
> - use h2 for bloc level title
> with <table>

I think there is a problem here in that the <label> tag has been used as
for formatting (with CSS styles) rather than its intended use as an
accessibility aid. So people will find it hard to add in <label> tags to
other parts of the forms without distorting the page layout.

When used as an accessibility aid the <label> tag can really speed up
how people use forms - especially for radio buttons and checkboxes - you
get a big target to click on to check the input.

Rather than apply a style to the <label> tag, I think it would be better
to wrap it in <span> with the style applied to the span.

So the above example would be:
type="..." id="somename" /></p>

This would enable someone, perhaps me, to add in the accessibility
features which the <label> tag enables.

There is an explanation of how the <label> tag should be used at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-grouping

> - use <table> as few as possible (and only where tables are useful)
> - don't use <caption> at the beginning of tables, at least not for table
> title. As most blocs are not table, the caption does not exist
> everywhere. Use h2 instead
>
> Questions :
> * the toggle variable is what the template designers must use when
> wanting a toggle color in <table> : <!-- TMPL_IF name="toggle" --><td
> with_toggle1_parameter><!-- TMPL_IF --><td with_toggle0_parameter><!--
> /TMPL_IF --> I suggest having a style "toggled" in the css to check that
> the HTML is correct.

I think it would be nice to add a unique id to each table. This would
give a lot more options for people to format how each table looks via
some contextual css. I guess in most cases it wouldn't be used but I
think it is an easy  option to add in at the templating stage.

eg
The class="toggled" in the 2 tables below could easily be made to look
quite different via css without having to edit the template.

> * begin every "invariant" bloc with <!-- KOHA id="X" --> where X is a
> number : that is a big task and only useful is someone is ready to
> develop a "template compiler" (like the translator compiler). The idea
> would be to : be able to report blocs in a local template to have synch
> easier. An example :
> ==============
> my local template
> <!-- KOHA id="1" -->
> something coming from prog templates, unmodified
> <!-- /KOHA -->
> <!-- KOHA id="2" MODIFIED -->
> Something modified locally, even if it exist in prog templates
> <!-- /KOHA -->
>
> the compiler would automatically replace the KOHA id=1 in the template,
> but let the KOHA id="2" as is, warning the user to check manually for a
> change.
>
> Does it sound interesting ? It would only is template designers plan not
> to modify invariant blocs, even for some spelling reasons (like "book
> bag" in NPL template where default says "basket" !)

This sounds like a great idea.

Cheers,
Richard

--