[Koha-devel] copyright holder

Chris Cormack crc at liblime.com
Sat Apr 28 00:00:39 CEST 2007

On 28/04/2007, at 4:35 AM, Kyle Hall wrote:

> As far as the GPL is concerned, MJ is correct in that the copyright
> of each persons contributions are still held by themselves. Katipo
> holds the copyright for alot of the code, Liblime holds the
> copyright for alot of it too. Just because Katipo wrote the
> original code does not mean that all modifications and additions
> are theirs. I hold the copyright for any code I've added, such as
> RotatingCollections.pm. For this reason, the license for Koha could
> not be changed without the agreement of every person who has worked
> on Koha. The same as with the Linux kernel. At least, this is how
> it works in the United States. I'm not well versed in French or
> British copyright law.

Yep, Kyle is bang on here, and I think thats a real strength, I think
it would be dangerous for one organisation to hold the copyright for
all the code. One target to attack with extortionate lawsuits, one
organisation that could change the license etc.

Chris

Chris Cormack                            chris.cormack at liblime.com
VP Research and Development                        www.liblime.com
LibLime                                             +64 21 542 131