[Koha-devel] Available languages in Koha 3 Beta... and "famfamfam"

Ricardo Dias Marques lists at ricmarques.net
Thu Apr 3 16:03:05 CEST 2008

Hi list!

I've installed Koha 3 Beta last week, on a (virtual) machine running
Linux (openSUSE 10.3), the "default" Apache (2.2.4) and the "default"
MySQL (5.0.45).

First of all, congratulations to the Koha developers team for a very
nice UI (User Interface) redesign. The new Koha (literally) looks
great!  :)

Having said that, I did run into some problems during the installation
(but I'll leave that to other post).

The topic of this message is languages, both in the OPAC and in the
Intranet areas.

After I managed to:
1- run perl makefile.PL
2 - install all the required package dependencies (Perl packages -
mostly from CPAN - and RPM packages)
3 - create the koha (MySQL) database and the kohaadmin user and the
koha system user
4 - run make test and make install
5 - ... I finally reached the first step of the Web Installer, available at:

http://hostname:8080/cgi-bin/koha/installer/install.pl

That took me to a login screen. I logged in with my kohaadmin username
and password.

That worked and took me to the "Web Installer > Step 1" page (the URL
remained the same), to choose a language.

The default language that appears has a funny looking name:
"famfamfam"! I have searched the web and found out that famfamfam is
some kind of an icons web site - http://www.famfamfam.com/

=> Does anyone have any idea why does famfamfam appear as an available language?

I have executed the locate command - locate famfamfam - and found out
there is a famfamfam directory in:

/usr/share/koha/opac/htdocs/opac-tmpl/prog/famfamfam

I changed that default language option (famfamfam) to en (English),
but did not find any other languages to select (like "pt" - Portuguese
- that was the one I was looking for).

I followed every step of the Web Installer (with no apparent
problems). After I finished the Web Installer, I logged in to the
Intranet Koha site with the kohaadmin username.
I clicked on the "System Preferences" link, that took me to:
http://hostname:8080/cgi-bin/koha/admin/systempreferences.pl

Then, I clicked on the "I18N/L10N" link on the left hand side, which
took me to:
http://hostname:8080/cgi-bin/koha/admin/systempreferences.pl?tab=I18N/L10N

I then tried to change the parameters for:
- "language" -http://hostname:8080/cgi-bin/koha/admin/systempreferences.pl?op=add_form&searchfield=language
- and "opaclanguages" -
http://191.112.10.6:8080/cgi-bin/koha/admin/systempreferences.pl?op=add_form&searchfield=opaclanguages

But I only get "en" as a (checkbox) option for "language" and
"famfamfam" and "en" as (checkbox) options for "opaclanguages".

So, my questions are:

1 - Why is "famfamfam" appearing as language?

2 - What do I have to do so that other languages (namely Portuguese -
pt) appear as a checkbox option for the "language" and/or
"opaclanguages" parameters?

I'm using UNIMARC and *not* MARC21 (if that's relevant).

If I missed to mention any relevant info, feel free to point it out.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net