[Koha-devel] Vote NOW for the Koha Community Website Theme

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Apr 16 19:30:51 CEST 2008

"Joshua Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:27 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote: Please
> >  move the vote to a site which everyone can use.  Can't Plone run open
> >  votes?  Could we score the templates from their own demo pages?
> Are you volunteering to set up a plone site that has a voting product installed,
> because none of us have time :-).

I dislike Plone (or rather, I dislike Zope), have previously decided
against using it and have migrated sites at work away from it, so I
don't have a server running it now.  Give me the necessary access to
the plone server(s) used and I'll install and configure a voting
product on it.

> >  The ballot looks very strange.  What method is being used for this
> >  vote?  What happens if there's not a clear winner?  I daren't vote
> >  because I don't understand how my vote will be used.
> This is the first time we've done an official Koha community vote for anything,
> so we're all just learning here. What do you suggest we do if there
> isn't a clear winner?

This isn't the first time we've held a vote.  The most recent one was
March 2007, asking how soon people wanted 3.0.  The result was 1 vote
for quick-bugfix-and-release, 9 votes for within-3-months, and 7 votes
for when-it's-ready.  I think I remember some votes before that.  Were
none official?

As to what happens if we don't get a clear winner, I'm reminded of my
dean at university who said that one of the most difficult things was
having scientists go to him, asking for help in salvaging some results
from their badly-designed experiments, and he had to tell them that
the only way of answering their original question was to start again
with a better design.  The experiments could still tell them something
about the question, often enough to get some paper in some obscure
journal, but not the answers they wanted.  So...

If there isn't a clear winner, we should let all three improve their
designs in light of the feedback and then use Single Transferable Vote
to choose between them.

> >  Many of the URLs on the demo sites appear to be different to the live
> >  site.  Are they template problems or a Plone configuration problem which
> >  will be corrected before launch?  http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
> The way I'd suggest we handle this is with mod_rewrite, so that the old
> pages redirect to the new content.

Can we move the new content to the currect URLs?

> >  Finally, all sites appear to be semi-translated.  Does that cause any
> >  other problems which might influence votes?
> Not sure, what kinds of problems do you anticipate?

I don't know if the bizarre esperan-franglais I see means I'm not
seeing the full effect of the template.

> >  Why was the call-for-votes draft not previewed on koha-devel?  I'm
> >  sure someone could have helped fix these before the vote started.
> Good idea, next time we'll do that.

Next time?  How soon are we replacing the website again?

Why didn't it happen this time?

Puzzled,
--
MJ Ray (slef)