[Koha-devel] Koha 3.0-stable final release date

Thomas Dukleth kohadevel at agogme.com
Mon Jul 7 10:02:36 CEST 2008

Reply inline:

On Sun, July 6, 2008 9:08 pm, Ricardo Dias Marques wrote:

[...]

>> With these issues in mind, I've decided to delay the proposed final
>> release
>> date of July 1 (yesterday!) to next week, July 7th (a Monday). [snip]
>
> First of all, I would like to congratulate all the developers for all
> the great work done so far! :)
>
> Having said that, I notice that now (06-Jul-2008 22:01 GMT) there are
> still 32 open bugs in Koha reported as "major" or "critical" or
> "blocker":
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5t65e7
>
> There may also be other reported bugs that have not been classified by
> the reporter as "major" /"critical" / "blocker", but that actually
> (should) belong to one of those three categories.
>
> So, I guess that what I'm asking is this: shouldn't the date to
> release "Koha 3 Final" be moved forward again until all the critical /
> major / blocker bugs are fixed and all the other bugs are considered
> to not belong in one of those categories (or, if they are, fix them
> before release)?

I agree completely.  As I have stated in a previous discussion of this
issue bugs are significantly under-reported, and their severity and
priority are under-reported.

It is trivial for someone knowledgeable to identify serious unreported
bugs in Koha.  Simply using some parts of Koha to do real work reveals
serious unreported bugs.  In other cases, one merely has to work with data
which has elements other than the most common to reveal serious unreported
bugs.

Following the suggestion of M.J.Ray, we should establish a convention for
bug priority in the bug life cycle help page,
http://bugs.koha.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/page.cgi?id=fields.html#bug_severity
, which would allow bugs which could not be properly classed major,
critical, or blocker by the established convention for severity to have a
high priority if warranted because their presence would lead librarians to
not give due consideration to Koha.

I have intended to file a number of additional bug reports in the past few
weeks but found myself working on other things and neglecting Koha.  This
weekend, however, I have been fixing some of the unreported critical and
major bugs of which I am aware.  I have left the most severe data loss bug
for last because it is the easiest to fix and some should be well aware of
it from IRC conversations but it has never been reported in the bug
tracking system and no one seems to have fixed it yet.  I have tried to
have a conversation with anyone at LibLime about what I was doing this
weekend but have not been able to raise anyone's attention during the
weekend.

[...]

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme