[Koha-devel] Prepackaged perl distro

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 17:16:29 CEST 2008

I think this idea is easy to do for a single target platform and harder to
do for heterogeneous platforms.  For one thing you have current versions of
Ubuntu shipping with perl 5.10 (and its variations in core).

The available methods include:

   - Bundle::Koha
   - CPAN "autobundle"
   - platform-specific packages

Making a Bundle::Koha is probably the easiest and most achievable option.
The best evidence of this is that it has been done already:
http://search.cpan.org/~koha/Bundle-KohaSupport-0.08/KohaSupport.pm<http://search.cpan.org/%7Ekoha/Bundle-KohaSupport-0.08/KohaSupport.pm>

Unfortunately that version is way out of date (since the author doesn't
appear to consider versioning, perhaps Koha v1.0!) and it contains
duplicates, but the idea is the same.

The autobundle approach would be more of a shotgun method, getting stuff
that isn't Koha-related and potentially limiting portability.

Building platform specific packages is the most difficult of the 3, but also
the strongest solution for a given platform.  This would be consistent with
your desire for "no CPAN", but not distro-agnostic.

I think the way to go is to make a current Bundle::Koha and let packagers
build off of that.

--Joe Atzberger