[Koha-devel] patches for 3.0 / head / both

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Tue Oct 14 17:19:28 CEST 2008

It seems to me the question is who do we want doing the heavy lifting on
patches.  I see it this way:

If we have a patches30 at koha.org the heavy lifting will have to be done
by the submitters.  They will have to make sure their patches can be
applied to the 3.0.x branch cleanly.  For those of us working on HEAD it
will mean some duplication of work as we will have a patch for HEAD
which we will then have to cherry-pick into our own copy of the 3.0.x
branch to make sure it applies cleanly before then submitting the ported
patch.  This is what I have been doing with my own work.  Luckly most of
my work so far has cherry-picked cleanly, and I only have to push it
out.

If we don't have a seperate email list for 3.0.x then the heavy lifting
will have to be done by the Release Maintainer.  They will have to watch
the submissions to the patches list, pick ones that should be applied to
the 3.0.x branch, and then do the work of porting (resolving and
testing).  I figure the RM will be doing some of this anyway as some
developers or patches should be applied to both branches.  The key would
be to make sure developers identify either in the subject or at the top
of the body of the patch that it is meant for the 3.0.x branch.

That's the way I see it, my 2 cents.

Mike Hafen