[Koha-devel] configuration files for Debian packaging 2/3 (reconfiguration)

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 05:55:00 CET 2008

Vincent --

Yes is it possible to switch between zebra and "nozebra" index modes.  In
Koha, these are controlled by a value in the systempreferences table:
SELECT * FROM systempreferences WHERE variable="NoZebra"

Of course you could not search successfully after switching NoZebra OFF if
zebra itself is not installed, or if the zebrasrv process is not started.

The main difficulty in switching would be dealing with the regularly
scheduled rebuilding of the index, since the job scheduled in crontab is one
of these two:

   - misc/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl
   - misc/migration_tools/rebuild_nozebra.pl

You would not want to run the wrong one from crontab after you have
switched.  And you would have to run the correct one immediately after
switching.

Perhaps we should encapsulate the two scripts behind a common
"rebuild_index" script.  We may want to consider deprecating nozebra
altogether (and I would support this), which would also solve this problem.
The people who have problems installing and configuring zebra are the same
people who would benefit here by nozebra deprecation.  Previously the
argument for nozebra was simplicity or potential platform-incompatibility,
but for a linux package they can apt-get reliably, there is no advantage to
nozebra.

Thanks for your work on this.
--Joe Atzberger,
LibLime