[Koha-devel] Improving Koha's OPAC Search

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Dec 18 19:21:32 CET 2009

> Maria Soledad Pera, William Lund, and Yiu-Kai Ng, A Sophisticated Library
> Search Strategy Using Kolksonomies and Similarity Matches
> <http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~dennis/papers/EnLibS-Rev.pdf>. Journal of the

"In solving this problem, we propose an enhanced library system, which
allows  partial,
similarity matching of (i) tags defined by ordinary users at a
folksonomy site that describe
the content of books and (ii) unrestricted keywords specified by an
ordinary library patron in a
query to search for relevant library catalog records. The proposed
library system allows
patrons posting a query  Q  using commonly-used  words and ranks the
retrieved results
according to their degrees of resemblance with Q while maintaining the
query processing
time comparable with the one achieved by current library search engines."

I haven't read the whole thing, but I'm confused by this. Is there
some aspect of Koha's tagging function which does not fulfill "( i )"
above?

Is a full-text search of MARC records (including subject headings,
notes, descriptions, etc) not the same as a search of "unrestricted"
keywords? This proposal seems to imply a conception of Koha's search
function as being limited to subject headings.

 -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries