[Koha-devel] Git Repository Questions

Michael Hafen mdhafen at tech.washk12.org
Fri Jan 9 21:45:36 CET 2009

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Gerald Van Baren <vanbargw at gmail.com>
To: Michael Hafen <mdhafen at tech.washk12.org>
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Git Repository Questions
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:05:15 -0500

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Michael Hafen <mdhafen at tech.washk12.org> wrote:
> I don't know if it is possible to clone a git repo over http.  There is
> a web interface to browsing a repo, git-web, but I don't think that is
> suitable for cloning.  I think the standard protocols for cloning a repo
> are git:// ssh:// and maybe ftp://
>
> I'm sure someone on this list can correct me if I'm wrong.

git:// is a rsync-based protocol that can run over ssh if the
repository server is set up to do that - gitosis runs git:// over ssh,
plain git-daemon runs git:// unencrypted.
  <http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way>
  <http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-daemon.html>

Git can clone over http:// (simply use http://), assuming the git
repository server is set up to support this (I don't know what is
involved, never having done it).  Cloning/pulling over http:// is
somewhat inefficient and is a *lot* more fragile than using the git://
protocol.
  <http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/setup-git-server-over-http.txt>

HTH,
gvb