[Koha-devel] [Koha] barcodes,

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Sat Jul 4 06:09:27 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Chris Nighswonger <
cnighswonger at foundations.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Joe Atzberger <ohiocore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Note: This would dramatically increase the resulting filesize and the
>> computational cost of delivering it.
>>

> Right, roughly an eye-popping 636% larger file size. So if one is printing
> very large label batches (>500 labels) it might not work well for them.
>
> This is really only a workaround. I'm working to try to understand exactly
> what needs to be changed in PDF::Reuse to correct the Type3 issue. I hope to
> have a *real* fix for it in the near future.
>
> As an alternative, this workaround could simply be applied on a
> case-by-case basis rather than committing the patch I submitted to the main
> repo.

Pursuing this further...

FWIW: It appears that Type 3 fonts are legacy and poorly supported at best.

I did, however, enable PDF::Reuse zip compression directive in combination
with the graphic embedding of the barcodes. This gives an equally
eye-popping 26% *reduction* over non-compressed Type 3 font embedding. ie.
4.5 K/pg (compressed graphic) vs. 17.5 K/pg (uncompressed Type 3 font) vs
111 K/pg (uncompressed graphic). So the issue with increased file size
should now be contained.

It appears that most other applications that export in pdf use compression
by default. (OO Writer, etc.)

I'm submiting an additional patch to enable compression.

Unless there is something I've missed, I'd recommend this as a permenant
fix.

Regards,
Chris