[Koha-devel] why standard install mode ?

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Jun 17 13:46:16 CEST 2009

2009/6/17 Marc Chantreux <marc.chantreux at biblibre.com>:
> hi Chris
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:21:52PM +1200, Chris Cormack wrote:
>> If you are installing from git, then the dev mode is good. If you are
>> installing from a release tarball then standard is what most people
>> would use.
>
> I meant that i use git for production also because it's more quick and
> easy to upgrade. I never used another method than the git one even in
> production.

Sure lots of people do. But the average person who wants Koha for
their small library probably runs off a release, not from git.

>> Dev mode is for people who are going to be doing updates, and rollbacks.
>> Standard is for the majority of people who download a release, install
>> it and leave it.
>
> Imagine you installed koha 3.0.0, if you want to take benefits from
> patches (bug corrections), you are now in 3.0.2. I would like to use git
> as a 'aptitude update' or 'windows update'. I see it as the best
> practice and wonder if i missed unexpected and dangerous effects.

You can do that, but lots of people like to run from releases, and
upgrade when a new release comes out. Standard mode is for them.

It might be best practice for those people familiar with git, but lots
of people do run from releases.

Chris