[Koha-devel] Fwd: Git users: bring out your bugbears!

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Oct 15 16:09:21 CEST 2009

Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Chris Cormack wrote:
> > One of my colleagues from work is off to a git get together, and Is
> > asking if anyone has anything they really wish was different with git.
> > I said I would ask the koha developers as we have used git for a while
> > now. So any suggestions send them my way and I will pass them on to  Sam

Some of the errors and recovery procedures are a bit confusing.  The
one which got me yesterday is the error "File exists" when another
user with a too-secure umask has created files in the git repository.
What it actually meant was that the file exists and my git couldn't
delete/modify it.

> Yes! Please flatten the learning curve or at least make it
> less steep.

How?

> Yes again! Provide some git for idyots doco.

What exactly do you want?  There's already
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html
in the distribution and others outside it like
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Git_Guide

> And again! Provide some hybrid (macro?) commands that make
> it conceptually easier for those coming from CVS to use git.

One problem is that CVS is actually conceptually broken, which was
part of the motive for git, but there's
http://git.or.cz/course/cvs.html (which uses cg not git, but I think
the actual commands in light blue are interchangable apart
from the switch command); or
http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~jonas/git_guides/HTML/CVS2git/CVS2git.html#SECTION00061000000000000000

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software