[Koha-devel] Developer Documentation

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:43:10 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Galen Charlton <gmcharlt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Developer documentation is a good thing, but I don't think that a
> DocBook document is necessarily the best way to present it - it  does
> not encourage on-the-fly updates, and the idea of a Koha developer
> documentation committee that acts as an implicit gatekeeper bothers
> me.  I think more active maintenance of the developer sections on the
> wiki would be a better approach, possibly in conjunction with a bit of
> work to allow it to be exported as DocBook for those who prefer to
> consume it that way.

The wiki is not organized - it's way too hard to navigate for someone
who is not familiar with is and adding more links is not going to help
- in my opinion - and the point is to make it easy for those who are
not familiar with the code or coding for Koha.

If DocBook is not the answer, then I'm up for suggestions of
structured ways to provide new developers with a guide of where to
start, what to do and not do... I've been a member of the community
for 3+ years - not that long in the grand scheme of things, but long
enough that I should know more about development guidelines than I do
and that's simply because I will not sit and skim the entire wiki to
find what I'm looking for ...

Nicole