[Koha-devel] Developer Documentation -

Reed Wade reedwade at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 02:28:27 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Irma Birchall <irma at calyx.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Reed
>
> As we want to bridge the gap between developers and users and assist users
> to become (or engage more with) developers and developers to become better
> users, is it wise to repeat something you say "I've never seen it done
> well"?

Chris correctly interpreted for me -- it's more a general "I've never
seen a really satisfying and working scheme but here's something that
might could work if we are diligent."

> My suggestion is that one adds to the 4 categories of developer
> documentation you list, 2 important documents: the "User Guide" and "Client
> Requirements Guide"  to frame a more complete picture.
>
> Just like adjusting the size of the font to suit our visual needs when
> reading web pages, if the reader could adjust the documentation reading
> level to suit their information needs by clicking on the - or + signs like
> when viewing Google maps .... that would be cool!
>
> Then we truly would document requirements and knowledge from the library
> patron, the library staff and the amazing Koha developers all in one multi
> layered manual.

That would be pretty sweet.

One path which might lead us there could be tagging. I do not think a
central document stands a good chance of staying correct and current.
But, I can certainly imagine feature tags that could be applied so
that a view extracted from the various sources (wiki, code comments,
bugzilla, etc) could be displayed together.

-reed