[Koha-devel] Restructuring C4

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed Apr 6 19:43:20 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Galen Charlton <gmcharlt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Ian Walls
> <ian.walls at bywatersolutions.com> wrote:
> > I also would like the separation of business logic from data access.  I'm
> > seeing several tiers in the structure:
> >
> > Template
> > Script
> > Business Logic library
> > Data Access library
> > Data structure
> >
> > We can then have multiple templates to meet the needs of the library.
> Bonus
> > points for making it fully customizable in by the librarians.
>
> But let's be careful not to get too far ahead of ourselves (regarding
> fully-customizable templating, which is not strictly an API issue.
> And besides, the templates are already fully customizable, albeit with
> a higher bar to entry than is desirable).  But in general, I agree:
> presentation should be separated from business logic should be
> separated from data access.

This sounds like an MVC approach. Aren't we just coming full circle with
earlier discussions about refactoring Koha around a framework like Catalyst,
Moose, etc.?

http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2009-January/031655.html

http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2010-June/034106.html

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.education.libraries.koha.devel/5218

Is this the time to bring these and other threads back to the table and move
forward with a concrete decision rather than going at it piecemeal?

Kind Regards,
Chris