[Koha-devel] [koha-devel] Adding patches to the git

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Jul 4 03:42:03 CEST 2011

* Justin Unrau (justin at prosentient.com.au) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Our company has created a few patches for Koha bugs we've been fixing for our
> clients in 3.2.x, and we're trying to start giving back more of the work we're
> doing to the community. As the most junior person here, I've been given the task
> of getting them into the git (so the coding wizards here can concentrate on
> their things). I've been looking at the wiki for how to do this, but I'm still a
> bit confused how to get our patches in. Anyone have any further guides for
> handling git beyond what's in wiki.koha-community.org?

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Version_Control_Using_Git
and
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Bug-enhancement-patch_Workflow

Are probably the 2 best guides

> I have two main questions though.
>
> I don't see any specific tree for the 3.2.x branch on git.koha-community.org.
> The production versions of Koha we're supporting are almost all 3.2.x, though
> the patches we're writing (the one I've got in my hand for bug 6551 right now at
> least) usually work in 3.4 as well. How does the interaction between 3.2 and 3.4
> work in the git way of doing things? Do we just clone the entire git and then
> make sure we do our tracking and rebasing from the maintenance version
> (origin/3.2.x) and that will handle it or is it more complicated?

Nope there isnt a tree for 3.2.x but there is a branch

http://git.koha-community.org/gitweb/?p=koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.2.x

The best way to do things, is to write the patch for master, and then
make a 3.2.x version of it if that is needed.

> The other main question is about the actual installation of git on our Windows
> servers. I see instructions for Debian and Ubuntu, but not for Windows, which is
> what we host our Koha installations on. Can anyone point me to a good Windows
> installation guide?

You run Koha on windows?? Not in a VM in windows?

You are a braver man than I, I dont know anyone who is running a
production install on windows.

Chris