[Koha-devel] [koha-devel] Adding patches to the git

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Mon Jul 4 03:45:51 CEST 2011

Hi Justin,

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Justin Unrau <justin at prosentient.com.au>wrote:

> I have two main questions though.
>
> I don't see any specific tree for the 3.2.x branch on
> git.koha-community.org.

3.2.x is a 'branch' off of the main repo 'tree' so you do not see a 'tree'
for it.

> The production versions of Koha we're supporting are almost all 3.2.x,
> though
> the patches we're writing (the one I've got in my hand for bug 6551 right
> now at
> least) usually work in 3.4 as well. How does the interaction between 3.2
> and 3.4
> work in the git way of doing things? Do we just clone the entire git and
> then
> make sure we do our tracking and rebasing from the maintenance version
> (origin/3.2.x) and that will handle it or is it more complicated?

Clone the entire repo. Then apply your patches to the 3.2.x branch. From
there you can cherry-pick them into master and 3.4.x as well.

The current workflow is to submit patches that will apply to master intended
for general consumption. If the patch is specific to a branch then include
[<branch_name>] in the subject line.

> The other main question is about the actual installation of git on our
> Windows
> servers. I see instructions for Debian and Ubuntu, but not for Windows,
> which is
> what we host our Koha installations on. Can anyone point me to a good
> Windows
> installation guide?

Are you running a VM on Windows or running 3.2.x in a native Win32
environment? Here I thought I was the only one with a working 3.2.x native
Win32 installation. :-)

There is a port of Git for Win32, but it is not as "nice" to work with as in
*nix. More info may be found here: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Kind Regards,
Chris