[Koha-devel] 3.8 feature freeze

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Mon Mar 26 17:17:16 CEST 2012

Hello koha-devel,

2 weeks ago I posted a mail about the release schedule, saying:
March, 23th (1 month before the release) = feature freeze.
April, 6th = strong feature freeze, string freeze
April 20th = starting release process, everything frozen
April 23th = release of Koha 3.8.0

The "feature freeze" was explained a little bit more on the wiki page:
* No major enhancements will be included after this date for this
release. By "major" I mean an enhancement that has many string change(s)
and/or database change and/or introduce major changes in the core of
Koha, with an important risk of side-effect.
* other enhancements can still make their way into 3.8
* bugfixes can still make their way into 3.8

I couldn't push all what was passed QA on friday, so I pushed some
patches today, without taking care of the feature freeze, that I declare
for the end of today.

Some have aked me what I would consider as a "major ENH", and what I
would consider as a "not major enh" ? (that still can be pushed this or
next week)?

I've reviewed all the patches that are in "need signoff" or "signed off"
status, and could find only 2 that fit the definition of "major ENH"
* Bug 7710 - multiple holds per title
* Bug 7818 - support DOM mode for Zebra indexing of bibliographic records
Those bugs 1-are large 2-are related to the core of Koha 3- could have
side effect
So they will wait for 3.10.

All other patches can still continue their way for Koha 3.8

For the following bugs i'll be double checking, because there is a risk
of side effect that is not negligible, and I hesitated to put them in
the previous list:
* Bug 7420 - Add max fines to circulation matrix
* Bug 7641 - Add ability to suspend reserves
* Bug 7736 - Edifact QUOTE and ORDER functionality (the side effect of
this one is negligible, but the patch is huge !)

But if they have a strong signoff (or, better, 2) before the "strong
feature freeze", I'll push them.

Comment on some other bugs:
Bug 7759 - Use Koha-Contrib-Tamil to update Zebra data in background =>
would be an alternative, not a replacement, so could push it.

Also, as a conclusion: as the perltidy process has not reached a
consensus -which I sincerely thought it had !- I won't do anything about it.
--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com