[Koha-devel] OPAC themes

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Oct 5 14:27:09 CEST 2012

Thanks for helping get the conversation going everyone. Some random replies:

> jQueryUI

jQueryUI and Bootstrap are not mutually exclusive. jQueryUI *only*
provides interface widgets like tabs, datepickers, etc. It doesn't do
a CSS grid. Bootstrap could be used *only* for the grid if we wanted
to. I think we might end up using both. Bootstrap, for instance, has a
really useful menu system which jQueryUI lacks.

> SASS and LESS

These are not CSS frameworks, but tools for writing and deploying
JavaScript. Bootstrap is designed to be used with LESS, and if there
is enthusiasm from everyone to do so we can look at working LESS into
our workflow. I'm not sold on it yet for our purposes.

> Browser compatibility

I agree 100% that we can't pick something that isn't going to be
backwards-compatible enough. I think the exclusion of Linux from that
list is a narrow-minded omission rather than real data, but of course
testing is required.

> JavaScript dependence

It has always been my goal, and will continue to be, that the OPAC
function without JavaScript. Bootstrap uses JavaScript for widgets
just like jQueryUI does, but it does not require it for layout or
responsiveness.

> JavaScript customization across themes

I imagine there's some steps to take to mitigate this problem, but
since we don't offer user switchable themes I'm not sure how far we
*need* to go. I would imagine libraries would pick one, customize, and
deploy.

 -- Owen

--
Web Developer