[Koha-devel] Architectural goals for 3.16

Liz Rea liz at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Dec 10 21:59:51 CET 2013

On 11/12/13 05:40, Owen Leonard wrote:
>> [4] Upgrade the version of Bootstrap we use to 3.x.
> As I mentioned in IRC today the primary caveat for this goal is that
> Bootstrap 3 says it "drops support for Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox
> 3.6." However, it doesn't explicitly say what "dropping support"
> means. If it means broken functionality, that is a problem for us. If
> it means graceful degradation, that's more acceptable. I'll be doing
> some investigation, but I think we need some opinions from others
> about what level of support we need to offer for IE7 and FF 3.6.
>
>  -- Owen

(this is only my opinion, since you asked.)

IE 7 is only available in Windows XP, which is due to be end of life in
April 2014. Any changes we make for this cycle won't be released until
after XP is EOL. As noted in IRC, IE7 usage accounts for ~3% of counted
browser usage. In many ways, I feel that if Microsoft is refusing to
support IE7, that means we should feel ok in dropping our support for
IE7 as well. XP is an outdated, and dangerous operating system to be
running. Supporting IE7 feels like a vote of confidence in that platform
that is undeserved.

It should be noted that it was discovered that bootstrap 3 sites, though
not officially supported in FF 3.6, still seem to look and work OK.

--Liz