[Koha-devel] Architectural goals for 3.16

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Wed Dec 11 19:25:42 CET 2013

At 11:33 PM 12/11/2013 +1300, Chris Cormack wrote:
>* Mathieu Saby (mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr) wrote:
> > Hi
> > Do you know what is the share of FF 3.6 and IE 7 in Nigeria,
> > Philippines, Pakistan or Turkey?
> > I suppose that people in those countries probably can't afford to
> > change computers as soon as here...
> >
> > By the way, my university is still using Windows XP, so it is not
> > "dangerous" (but of course we plan to change OS in 2014)
> > And 1 year ago, the FF standard version insalled on staff computers
> > was 3.6! (Now it is 10 or 17, I don't remember)
> > From what I understood (that's not my part ;-) ), using fresher
> > version of FF was not an easy task for our IT department, because FF
> > was virtualized, and the older versions are somehow "lighter" than
> > the recent ones.
> >

>You're right, lets give it another 7 years before we upgrade (october
>2006 it was released).

Hi Chris -- let's not go overboard, I think that Mathieu was just thinking
along the same lines that I attempted to express. That is, that while many
of us are {inquisitive|priveleged|advanced|funded|?} enough to try and
follow future trends, coding, methodology, and that our intentions are
purely to improve the "Koha experience", the aim of Koha is to make library
catalogues available to as many end-users as possible, "education of the
world's ordinary citizens" if you will. The "cutting edge" is fine, but is
not necessarily available to "the masses." (and that doesn't mean that IE6
is at all relevant!)

The other (in my mind anyway) point that I fear we are overlooking, is that
this "browser" discussion started with Bootstrap v3 -- and all of this is
just an expanded CSS usage for cosmetic purposes - rounded corners on
boxes, etc, - but might be more relevant to mobile usage.

When I do a CSS "check"[1] on our OPAC, I find "Sorry! We found the
following errors (289)" and they're {mostly} .yui related, and they don't
appear to make diddly difference in any browser I have access to (FF3.6,
FF21, FF25, IE8, Chrome16, Safari5.1, Opera11).

Does anyone know of anything that would actually break the OPAC or
otherwise render it unusable or unsafe in *any* browser if Bootstrap 3 were
introduced?

tnx + br - paul

[1]
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css21&warning=0&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fopac.navalmarinearchive.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fkoha%2Fopac-main.pl>

>Chris
>PS I wrote this using ae on my machine running linux 1.0.

P.S. I still have a fully functional Seaqua (two! 5 1/4 floppies, one for
the o/s, one for data) that runs MS-DOS 1.03) but it only has 64K RAM, so
couldn't run Windows when BG/MS introduced it in 1984  --  and when I built
our current production server last year (8 x i7 cores) it was "top end" but
is now surpassed ;={