[Koha-devel] OPAC theme defaults for 3.14

Philippe Blouin philippe.blouin at inLibro.com
Fri Oct 25 13:54:23 CEST 2013

The timeframe is all good for deprecation, but what about the immediate
issues?
For us, it's the first time we hear that this move is coming so we've
been developping and contributing on the /prog/ branch solely.

What is the plan for the discrepencies already in?
What is the plan for the changes in wait of sign-off (or push) ?

A short, immediate pain is prefered to a long, drawn, endless itching... :)

On 13-10-25 04:23 AM, Martin Renvoize wrote:
> I'de agree with Zeno's timeframe.
>
> That give's people time to port their customisation to the new theme
> without adding too much work for the developers in coding for three
> theme's simultaneously.  We, at PTFS Europe have been enabling CCSR by
> default for new installs, and often 'upgrading' to CCSR during koha
> upgrades.  Not everyone is going to suddenly be upgraded at the same
> time, so it shouldn't be too harsh a problem to take OPAC
> customisations into account during an upgrade.
>
> As for Paul's comments, Robin has pretty much covered it.  Bootstrap
> is a framework of well supported JS and CSS that we could not hope to
> create and maintain for ourselves, not using one of these frameworks
> (Bootstrap, Foundation) in the foreseeable future is just plain silly
> given the work it takes to create fully responsive themes the meet
> current expectations.  Using bootstrap is much more likely to pass
> tests than us reinventing the wheel.
>
> So.. all in all the bootstrap theme gets my vote!
>
> Martin Renvoize
> Software Engineer, PTFS Europe Ltd
> Content Management and Library Solutions
> Skype:
> Landline: 0203 286 8685
> Mobile: 07725985636
>
> http://www.ptfs-europe.com
>

> On 25 October 2013 08:47, Zeno Tajoli <z.tajoli at cineca.it
> <mailto:z.tajoli at cineca.it>> wrote:
>
>     Hi to all,
>
>     Il 24/10/2013 17:04, Galen Charlton ha scritto:
>
>         Another point for discussion: I propose that the Bootstrap
>         OPAC theme be
>         made the installation default for 3.14, and that we announce
>         deprecation
>         of the prog and CCSR themes at the same time, with those
>         themes to be
>         removed (or split into separate packages, if somebody really
>         wants to
>         maintain one or both) in 3.16.
>

>     my position on the topic is:
>     -- Bootstrap OPAC theme as default in 3.14
>     -- Themes prog and CCSR deprecated from 3.14
>     -- Themes prog and CCSR deleted from 3.18 [two release cycle]
>
>     So there is more time to port opac costumixations.
>
>     Bye
>     Zeno Tajoli
>
>     --
>     Dr. Zeno Tajoli
>     Dipartimento Gestione delle Informazioni e della Conoscenza
>     z.tajoli at cineca.it <mailto:z.tajoli at cineca.it>
>     fax +39 02 2135520 <tel:%2B39%2002%202135520>
>     CINECA - Sede operativa di Segrate

Philippe Blouin,
Responsable du développement informatique

Tél.  : (888) 604-2627
philippe.blouin at inLibro.com <mailto:philippe.blouin at inLibro.com>

inLibro | pour esprit libre | www.inLibro.com <http://www.inLibro.com>